BDA (Introduction to Databases: "Bases de Datos")
This is just a page with lecture notes given in José
2nd Year. 2nd semester.
Academic Year 2010-2011
(Carlos Monserrat's groups)
[versió en valencià
At the official and common Poliforma-t
intranet page, more information can be found (in Spanish)
Software for the Lab exercises
1. Introduction to databases.
2. The relational data model.
3. Database Management Systems.
1. Introduction to a relational database.
2. Representation of reality within the relational data model.
4. Study of a DBMS.
PDF: Use Adobe
to visualise them. If you don't want to print one
slide per page, you can just print the original PDF to Distiller/PDF
Writer again, specifying 4 slides per page.
- Presentation (PDF)
- Unit 1. Introduction to Databases (PDF)
- Unit 2. The Relational Data Model
- Unit 3. Database Management Systems.
- 3: (PDF)
- Self-study document for Section 3.5. Physical Organisation (PDF)
- Lab Guide for Practical Unit 1 (one session): (For Office XP: here)
(For Office 2007: here)
- Lab Guide for Practical Unit 2 (one session): here .
Some slides: here.
- Lab Guide for Practical Unit 3a (six sessions approx.): here. Slides (part A), Slides (part B)
- (Ms Access databases, cyclism, music, library, downloadable here):
slides on SQL: BASIC QUERIES: here
MORE COMPLEX QUERIES: here.
- Guide to solve complex SQL Queries.(PDF)
- Previous Exams in English:
- September 2004: (PDF)
- June 2005: (PDF)
- September 2005: (PDF)
- June 2006: (PDF)
- September 2006: (PDF)
- June 2007: (PDF)
- September 2007: (PDF)
- June 2008: (PDF)
- September 2008: (There was
no translation into English. Please check the Poliforma't website for a
version in Spanish)
- June 2009: (PDF)
- September 2009: (PDF). For solutions (Spanish), check in the Poliformat
- June 2010: (PDF)
- September 2010: (PDF)
- June 2011: (PDF)
- Official document on the SQL syntax that can be carried and kept
on the table during the exam: SQLsyntax.
Software Available to do the Lab work at
Apart from Microsoft Access, if you have
it, for which we propose the following databases
(check also the microweb), we offer the following software packages as
an alternative to
do part of the lab work (the SQL queries, mainly):
- ConsulWin (specific environment for performing SQL queries with
the lab exercises embedded) (in Spanish):
Includes the exercises wording and the databases "Ciclismo",
"Musica" and "Biblioteca".
solutions given by the student.
The correction is by the
extension of the query result. Consequently, the corrector only detects
incorrections, but some incorrect queries may not be detected.
- PostgreSQL (Free DBMS system for Linux and Windows).
- MySQL (Free DBMS system for Linux and Windows).
- OpenOffice Data (Free DBMS system for Linux and Windows).
Comments or suggestions:
Any comment related to this webpage can
be made at the classroom or by email here
Return to the main page.
© 1996-2011 José Hernández Orallo.